Uwe Stöhr wrote:
Dov Feldstern schrieb:

First of all, I just want to apologize to you, Uwe: I feel that we were getting very argumentative last night, and I'm not sure why...

No problem. I think such discussions are needed to get a decision.

So what about the following:

- I commit the Farsi related stuff that doesn't touch Arabic and keeps the possibility to use arabTeX.

- We buld in your solution with the two different Arabic languages: arabic_arabTeX and arabic_arabi

This solution requires much work, so I propose that I take care of the arabi part as I have this already ready and you take care of the arabTex part. I think when we work hard, it should be possible to get it ready before LyX 1.5.0 comes out. (For rc2 it is too late but doesn't matter.)

Sounds good to me. I'll try to get my part done soon.

---

For the arabTeX support:

- I think the fontenc stuff should be added - is easy, can do this when you tell me what encoding is needed.

I just don't know which is the correct encoding. I do know that for ArabTeX, the encoding setting for the document, within LyX, should be set to "LaTeX default", but I'm not sure what that means in terms of the generated LaTeX. It seems to be working as it is, so maybe we should just leave it until someone who really knows ArabTeX comes along, or until problems are reported.

- The manual set up of the input encoding stuff can be dropped, because we can take it from the arabi-package (as you already tested).

What are you referring to?  I'm not sure I follow...

- Do you have a better solution for the \begin{arabtex} environments. I think that we should change the \selectlanguage{arabic} command to \begin{arabtex} when the user uses arabic_arabtex as document language. Right? Could you try to implement this?

I think this sounds right. I'll take a look at this. I don't know, though, whether or not this should be hard-coded. Perhaps it would be better to add another column to lib/languages? Note, also, that currently there is a whole preferences infrastructure built around these options, so we might as well use that. So it requires a little one-time setup, but most people using ArabTeX are probably already set up for that anyway. So maybe we're better of just leaving it as it is...

regards Uwe

p.s. why to you send your messages to the lyx-devel list via the newsgroup and not as cc? Perhaps this is the reason for the problems with your messages yesterday. You must btw. not be subscribed to the lyx-devel list to send emails to it.

It usually works either way for me; but last night it didn't seem to be working right, regardless of whether I sent to the newsgroup or to the mailing list. Today there still seems to be a very long delay...