Helge Hafting wrote:
>> could you give a meaningful example with specific layouts between
>> which you would be switching (out of curiosity) which would give rise
>> to the above?
> I can't remember a layout with default centering,

f.e. title in the article layout

> but I believe the headings are left-justified.
>
> So, set some "standard" paragraph to explicit left-justified.
> Turn it into a heading, then  turn it back to "standard" again.
> Information lost, if we don't have an explicit "default".

sure, i was pretty clear about this. note though that your example will hardly
ever happen (except as a mistake).

moreover, information loss on layout switch is frequently unavoidable. what
will happen for example in the current implementation if you center the
standard paragraph, switch to a heading (which doesn't allow center) and switch
back again? we will loose information...

so to summarize i am don't think that this "proves" that we need an extra
default button

btw, did you try you example with the current "solution"? you will see that you
loose the same information (a problem there?)!

> Now, feel free to add an indicator saying what the current default
> alignment is, i.e.:
>
> o default (justified)
> o justified
> o right
> o center
> o left
>
> But don't add the indicator unless you make sure it is
> correct in all cases (except ERT abuse).
>
> You must cope with changing paragraph layouts, changing document
> types, documents included into other documents,
> paragraphs nested into other paragraphs that possibly have different
> alignments set, document branches being turned on/off, and so on.
>
> Seeing as we are near a release, I think just keeping "default"
> is the easy way to go here.

you can find example code in the patch i send...