Georg> Sorry, but I don't like it :-( I would prefer to get rid of the
Georg> caption inset completely and switch back to the layout based
Georg> solution.

I would prefer that too...

Georg> Since I know that that won't happen my second choice is to
Georg> modify Hangzai's patch so that it does not output a caption
Georg> inset, but a caption layout. In contrast to the layout file
Georg> solution it does not have any side effects, and I believe that
Georg> it would be very easy to do.

I thought about it too, but it means that a textclass that uses
\caption for something else will get to use the caption inset. Not a
big problem probably. I'll have a look at this solution.