I really don't think we have to follow the linux kernel numbering system.
There are a gazillion packages out there, each of which has its own system.
I think as long as the website & docs stay consistent, we can have whatever
scheme we would like. (The only important thing, IMO, is the 1.0 label,
since I think almost everyone assumes pre-1.0 is unstable. Luckily, we
passed that one.)

If it will make people happier to have each release go from 1.1 to 1.2
and then to make 1.1.y instead of 1.1fixy, I suppose it won't hurt anybody.

Btw, as far as changing the READMEs, the problem is that it *should* say
that it's a development release for all the development releases. So
changing it in CVS wouldn't work. I don't suppose anyone has the energy to
have a 'make stable' target that puts "this is a stable release" into README
and a 'make cvs' which puts "this is a development release" in?

-Amir