Darren Freeman wrote:
What I am most concerned about is being able to write chemical formulas
with each element as a nucleus. I guess if I ensure the nucleus is
math-text then it will work anyway but there must be others who would
like this to work without brace insets.

Maybe there should be a chemical mode or chemical inset within mathed?

Spare a thought for anybody who wants to write down:

$\mbox{La}_5\mbox{Pr}_2\mbox{Eu}_4\mbox{Yb}_3
\mbox{Si}_{12}\mbox{Sn}_{16}\Rightarrow\mbox{Purple}_2\mbox{Monkey}_1
\mbox{Dishwasher}_3$

Have you tried the mhchem package? You can type something like \ce{La(NH3)3.6H2O} or \ce{CH3CO2-} and it'll come out properly formatted.

http://www.tug.org/texlive/devsrc/Master/texmf-dist/doc/latex/mhchem/mhchem.pdf

As with my earlier suggestion that you use the SIUnits package, there's usually a LaTeX package out there that can typeset better than you can. That, after all, is the point.

Angus