> > I am pretty sure that we do not really want this. The external
> > templates should be as generall as possible and work equally well for
> > ascii, eps, pdf or whatever.
> > (And the intention is not to let InsetExternal be a replacement for
> > Figinset or InsetGraphics)
>
> Why not? (we just need to add inline previewing to the external inset).

I agree that it is relevant to move in this direction. However, the
important aspect is that the external inset should remain general.
It should not be restricted to graphics only.

I realize that you do not propose it to be this, but this might explain
what Lgb is thinking when he says that the external inset was not meant
as a replacement for the figinset.

Personally, I think we should support inline preview of images with
the external inset, but it is important that the construction is as
general as possible: It should also work to produce inline previews
of other kinds of things.

Now, the question of how to obtain that is relevant. In this context,
it seems natural that at first, we provide support for previewing
of graphic formats would be a good first step.
It is, after all, monotonically better than what we have now.

One concrete way to obtain inline support could involve the definition
of a new "preview-command" syntax in the external templates which would
specify which command you have to invoke to get a graphic preview of your
inset.
On the LyX side, we could have support for previewing of Xpm or some
other easy-to-support graphics format. Obviously, the preview should
be optional, in order to allow fine grained control of computing effort.

Greets,

Asger