Richard Heck wrote:
> There are several large issues with this dialog collected in bug 3893.
> It really doesn't work very well. Here is a radical suggestion: Get rid
> of it in favor of character styles. So we'd have character styles like
> Italic, SmallCaps, and the like, accessed via the Edit>Text Styles menu,
> rather than through a dialog. These could all be defined in a
> StdCharStyles.inc file to be included in other layouts.

Yes. I also have some plans for this.

> There are some issues with this. At present, nesting character styles
> can lead to some ugly display, because the lines under the text nest and
> create quite a mess. I'd suggest making these optional, via a Layout
> setting. The attached patch gives some idea how this might work. It can
> be tried with these character styles:
> CharStyle Italic
>   LatexType               Command
>   LatexName               textit
>   ShowBox false
>   Font
>     Shape Italic
>   EndFont
> End

One thing that needs to be done, btw, is make
   Font
     Shape Italic
   EndFont
actually output italic font (in LaTeX) without further preamble ado. I have a
patch for this, but it probably needs a format change, since we have to
introduce GuiFont tags for those who want to set the font in LyX only.

> CharStyle SmallCaps
>   LatexType Command
>   LatexName textsc
>   ShowBox false
>   Font
>     Shape SmallCaps
>   EndFont
> End
> But there are still some issues here with the behavior of the cursor, as
> it seems to expect a border between the inset and the surrounding text,
> which has been removed.
>
> Another issue is that the Edit>Text Style menu could become very
> crowded. It'd be nice to be able to define character styles and put them
> into submenus, perhaps via a setting that was something like:
>     Submenu Shape
> Which would create and populate submenus.

I'd prefer to have a combox (analogous to the paragraph style combox) in the
toolbar instead of the menus.

Jürgen