Helge Hafting wrote:
Paul Smith wrote:

Thanks, Steve. If it is not a bug, then many users like me -- I guess
-- would be very happy if they were given the option of choosing as
global the change of language, i.e., affecting all paragraphs and not
only the the new ones.

Such an option already exists: select whatever you want to change --- the entire document, if that's what you want --- and then set the language from "Edit->Text Style->Customized", or using the "language xxx" lfun from the minibuffer. Switching the language of a document may have other effects, such as determining language-dependent document-wide settings, as well as determine the "default" language when you start typing, but it would seem very strange to me if it also change the language of already typed in text.

I think this is a bug, in the "paste" mechanism.
You can change the language of all paragraphs
(except those with  an exlicit foreign language)  by changing the
document language. But this only works if you _wrote_ the document
that way. If you _pasted_ as little as a single word from a document
with another language, then this screws up. (_Writing_ that
foreign word and using edit->text style to mark it foreign will
work - you can still change the document language and have
everything else change with it.)

This is very strange --- I see the behavior you're describing with regard to, say, English and French, but not (thank goodness) with regard to English and Hebrew: In other words, when I have typed (or pasted) in something in English, and the switch the document language to Hebrew, then what's already been typed or pasted in remains in English, as I would expect.

The behavior that's occurring with English and French seems very strange to me, what I would expect is for all text that's already been typed in to remain in its original language. If the user explicitly wants to switch the language of text that's already been typed in, it can be done as explained above.

I tested and reported this as bug 4062

Helge Hafting