On 26 jul 2007, at 15.05, Helge Hafting wrote:

Anders Ekberg wrote:
At least on the Mac side full-screen editing has become standard with "writer's editors" (WriteRoom, Avenir, CopyWrite, Scrivener, ...). It is now starting to appear in word processors (I think Nisus Writer is the latest example). So my question is if full-screen editing is a feature that is possible, interesting and desired in LyX? In my opinion it is well in-line with the LyX-philosophy of focusing on the writing. If you haven't tried it, to get an example of full-screen editing, you can download JDarkroom ( http://www.codealchemists.com/ jdarkroom/ ), which is small, free and (arguably) a bit quirky. Note that what Microsoft Word calls "Full screen mode" is something completely different.
Perhaps you could give a short explanation of what this full-screen
editing is about - for those of us who don't know any of the
editors mentioned?
LyX support maximization, but surely that isn't what you mean?  Also,
I would never want LyX to use up all of my big screen.  I need screen
room for reference material, such as webpages, pdf readers, and other
LyX documents. LyX is nice in that it can be set up to use most of its
screen area for the main window - it don't _waste_ screen space. So
it coexists nicely with my other needed windows.

Also, using the entire screen for text gives way too long lines for
comfortable reading, especially when using a wide-screen monitor.
If the answer is "margins" then you're just wasting space seemingly
for no reason.

Some likes fullscreen apps in order to not get distracted - but the answer
then is to use a solid background color (instead of a distracting
image) and of course no stupid "desktop" with icons. The
screen is then perfectly tidy!

Helge Hafting

Previous mail disappeared in cyberspace, so a new attempt:
The idea is to blank out *everything* except the document. This includes window decorations, menus, etc. The resulting appearance actually feels quite different from using solid background color and empty desktop. The idea is to use this mode when you want to focus solely on writing. If you do copy and paste or want to interact with other applications, you switch back to normal window mode (usually with Esc). Normally you can also change to other applications with the usual Command-tab (or similar). So the idea is not to force a new windowing solution onto users, but to provide an alternative that is very useful for some situations.

Anders