So I just realized that in the last couple months, two new top-level menus
have been created. Has this been discussed? Are we sure it's a good idea?

I suspect that a large number of people will use LyX a lot, but never use
the Refs menu. Besides which, nearly all of the functionality in the refs
menu belongs in the Insert menu. (Btw, having all the stuff in the refs menu
AND the insert cross-reference in Insert is even worse!)

Similarly, maybe a lot of people will want to use the TOC
menu, but would it hurt to put it into a sub-menu? Should there be a
Navigate menu or sub-menu which has goto-ref and the TOC stuff?

I think both menus are good ideas, but increasing the number of top-level
menus makes the program look more complicated. LyX can do an awful lot, but
we don't want it to look intimidating. And it's not just looking
intimidating that's a problem; having too many top level menus makes it
harder to find what you want, IMO. I think it's usually better to use menu
nesting or popups.

In fact, as long as I'm at it, do we really need a separate math menu?
I would think that most people will just open the math panel if they want to
add something. I also seem to remember someone discussing a separate math
toolbar or something?

-Amir