On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 06:56:24PM -0400, Richard Heck wrote:
>  Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> > Richard Heck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >> But should they also be
> >> differently defined in the layout file? I.e., should it be more like:
> >>  CollapsibleInset Endnote
> >>    LatexName endnote
> >> rather than using CharStyle here, too?
> >>
> > Actually, I would also define things like footnotes like that, to
> > remove as much hardcoding as possible. Not all layouts want the same
> > appearance for these notes anyway.
> >
> > So it could be
> >
> > Inset Footnote
> >   Collapsable 1
> >   Font
> >    Size Small
> >   EndFont
> >   LabelString "foot"
> > End
> >
> > InsetFootnote.cpp would only need to contain a few things (latex
> > knowledge).
> >
>  The idea here is that there wouldn't need to BE an InsetFootnote.cpp. That's
>  certainly the idea with Endnote. So you could have this:
>
>  Inset Footnote
>   LyXType Collapsable
>   LatexName footnote #this is implicitly a command, I take it
>   Font
>    Size Small
>   EndFont
>   LabelString "foot"
>  End
>
>  Or something along those lines. Then InsetFoot (and the peculiar
>  InsetFootlike) vanishes. I'd have to check what happens here with plain text
>  and docbook output, though, and there's also a possible issue with
>  insetAllowed(). So this particular case might not be amenable to such
>  treatment.
>
>  In any event, with endnote.sty, the target is something like this:
>
>  Inset Endnote
>   LyXType Collapsable
>   LatexName endnote
>   Font
>    Size Small
>   EndFont
>   LabelString "foot"
>   Preamble
>     \usepackage{endnote}
>   EndPreamble
>  End
>
>  We don't want InsetEndnote, in large part because, as Martin said, this
>  should make it possible to support lots of LaTeX packages without messing
>  with the actual code. And allowing
>
>   LyXType Command
>
>  which would generate an InsetCommand-type inset could allow lots of
>  interesting things, too, but that's another topic.
>
>  So, anyway, I guess we need to settle on what the *.layout code will look
>  like. Once that's in place, it won't be terribly hard to redo the code to
>  separate this out. I've already made a list of what bits of which files need
>  to be changed. But I'll finish the modular layout stuff first....
>
>  Richard

I think this is the way to go. A layout item Inset, from which
CharStyle is only one of many applications.

Requires careful thinking through of what configurability we
want to allow in the layout file. I would love the inset to
have a dialog with user-defined menu entries e.g. But this
"mini-language" requires careful design.

- Martin