On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 11:04:41AM +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
> Andre Poenitz wrote:
> >On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 12:28:31PM +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
> >>[...]
> >>Clearly, qt4 think it is clever to use DRI for some things when it
> >>is available. It is probably faster than "standard X" when hardware
> >>is used for DRI, but much slower when the software fallback is used.
> >>

> >Where in the Qt sources do these "clever things" happen? Grepping for
> >"dri" does not yield anything interesting.
>
> I have no idea.

Yet you produce random accusations.

> I arrived to the conclusion this way:
> * Software DRI is known to be hopelessly slow, it exists mainly so
>   you can test the APIs without actual hardware.  Or run some
>   low-impact stuff.

Right.

> * People observe that something in LyX is dead slow when
>   software DRI is in use, and speedier when it isn't. So the
>   slow software DRI obviously got used by running LyX.

Or some funny interaction wich is triggered by what we do but
nothing we are 'responsible' for.

I sometimes start playing a DVD with ogle while running the flash plugin
in Firefox. It usually works after retrying, and so far it always worked
after ejecting and re-inserting the DVD.

Now whom do I blame? Ogle? Firefox? Flash? Linux? Qt? LyX?

I guess just blame LyX.

> * As far as I know, the only way LyX uses the screen, is through
>   qt4.  So qt4 must be the one to blame then. qt4 has support for
>   openGL it wouldn't be strange if they try to speed up some
>   operations by using DRI where they think it is noticeably faster.

It would be quite strange.

LyX only uses Qt widgets that are _not_ derived from QGLWidget. QGLWidget
is the only thing in Qt that ever accesses OpenGL. You'll also notice that
LyX is _not_ linked against libGL, which would be the case if we used
the QtOpenGL module by accident.

Andre'