On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 10:02:45AM -0500, Bo Peng wrote:
> > Peter and Bo: Can you please post a list with what cmake/scons are able
> > to do, not able to do, and the estimated effort to bring it to a 'full'
> > solution?
>
> scons can build and install on linux, windows/msvc/mingw/cygwin but I
> do not have access to a mac. Its autoconf functionality is weaker than
> autotools so it might not work on some *nix systems.

I guess it's safe to go for Linux and add the rest on demand.

> scons also updates po, TOC.lyx, it is easier to understand/maintain
> than autotools or cmake, because it uses a language that other parts
> of lyx also use.

Currently scons is around 6000 lines, cmake is 3000. Is this due to
stuff not implemented in cmake or the file lists or something 'in the
nature of scons'?

> scons can not build native msvc projects, and this is why cmake should
> be around to help.

I am primarily aiming at 'either-or' here. What effort would it be to
add that capability to scons? Note that the system has not to be
universo, it has just to produce 'our' .vcproj files.

> scons can build the official windows installer easily, but it lacks
> 'scons dist', 'scons checkdist', 'scons rpm' etc. The current trunk of
> scons has these, and a bunch of autoconf stuff, and I expect to use
> them once scons 1.0 is released. (scons' development was very slow,
> but things have changed dramatically recently.)

What would be the expected time of arrival of scons 1.0?

> > Could you also please try to ask yourself whether you might give up
> > 'your' build system in the long run?
>
> It would be good to use one build system, but the current situation is
> that none of them work best under all situations, and for all
> developers. Abdel and other MSVS users obviously need cmake, linux
> gurus prefer autotools.

I don't think there is anybody in love with autotools here. It just
happened the most complete solution we have.

> I think the currently situation is acceptable as long as the build
> systems can be updated easily. Of course, if, for example, nobody else
> understands cmake and Peter decides not to support it, it will die
> naturally.

I'd prefer a single build system in the medium term nevertheless.

One thing I personally prefer is having makefiles generated as an
intermediate step. I guess that's not possible with scons, is it?

Andre'