Helge Hafting wrote:
Paul A. Rubin wrote:
Helge Hafting wrote:
I have a table with a tall row, because one cell is fixed-width with multiple lines.
In another cell I wanted to place a single symbol, preferably centered
vertically.

I tried changing the column's vertical adjustment, but this had
no effect whatsoever.

Did you try setting the vertical alignment of the fixed width column to "middle"? I find this counterintuitive, but it seems to be how it works.
Thanks, I can now get the effect I want.
Still, latex is very strange here, or perhaps LyX just
misrepresent things.

If you look at the emitted LaTeX, it's correct (the vertical alignment is being specified for the fixed-width column), so LyX is absolved of fault here. As to LaTeX being strange, I can agree with that in general.

I set some alignment on the fixed-width
column - in order to have _other_ columns line up with that
alignment?  Not only is this odd, but the concept does not
extend to having several fixed-width columns with differing
alignemnts.  (How is  the other columns going to line up then?
Like the first fixed column?  Like the next one says?)

There is indeed odd results when setting up several such
columns. :-(

I'm no TeXpert, but I think the logic here is that there is a baseline for text in each row of the table. Vertical alignment is with reference to the baseline. So setting "middle" in the fixed-width column says that you want the middle of each cell in that column to align with the baseline of the row. The baseline is defined (I think) independent of the alignment of the columns, so even if you make every column fixed-width (can't recall if that's legal in LaTeX or not), there's still a baseline and the logic still works.

Of course, the first time I tried to do what you were doing, it took me half an hour to sort this out. :-)

So I tried forcing my way with insert->vertical space before
and after the symbol. Latex puked on this.

Try setting "protected" on the vertical space. It doesn't seem to cause LaTeX to object (although it also doesn't seem to accomplish much).
Correct.  Latex accepts the protected space, but don't act
on it.  So it is useless and should probably be disabled.

Ok, but what happens if the user inserts a minipage in a table cell. Inside the minipage, \vfill actually works and should be enabled. So now LyX needs to track whether you're inside a minipage inside a table. I don't know enough LaTeX to know if it ends there or not. That's one for the developers.

/Paul