Bo Peng ha scritto:
I don't know how useful that would be. They'd have to unpack the files,
install them, run texhash (or whatever), just as they do now. Right?
Not really. If you put a .cls in your document directory, lyx can make
use of it.
Infact, I was just thinking to custom .cls, .bst and .sty files, that
are usually not directly shipped with (all) LaTeX distributions,
or for which the system-wide versions are often obsolete (e.g.
what happens *always* for IEEEtran.cls or acmtrans2e.cls,
or another common package I use is fixme.sty).

These files just work fine if you copy them within your compilation
directory and compile with LaTeX (overriding possible system-wide
versions of them, if any), even though LyX cannot see (AFAICR) them
if you don't install them into system-wide folders -- but the latter is
another problem (don't know if has been fixed or not).

I'm just thinking that such files could travel together with the document,
if needed, in order to simplify the editing lifecycle, so that if an author
uses a new package, it can be shipped along with the doc itself.

On a related note, are embedded files going to have a separate new
file extension ? From the wiki page it would seem not. Wondering if this
is going to create confusion !

   T.

--
Tommaso Cucinotta, Computer Engineering PhD, Researcher
ReTiS Lab, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa, Italy