In the end, I don't think this will be needed. But yes, the serialization here is a hassle, and it's sheer luck that it isn't a problem.
How would an optimal/a better solution look like in your opinion?
[Serious question]
Well, there are advantages to the serialization. I can't remember what they are ;-), but I have seen them. That said, this is the normal flow from controller to core: The controller has a copy of InsetCommandParams; it wants to pass that information upstream to the inset. So what it does is serialize them, call an LFUN, and then the kernel reads the stream back into an InsetCommandParams. So you have to do it this way if you want to use dispatch, etc, rather than some sort of direct interaction with the kernel. I'd have to look a lot more closely to see what that would be like exactly. But surely there's some way to just hand the inset its new parameters.

Richard

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto