Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
Abdelrazak Younes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Restart the numbering, modify the numbering style (1-2-3 to a-b-c),
etc. Same thing with bullets. I know there's a separate dialog for
that but this thing is global to the Document.

It is not a service to users to advertise prominently a way to
number/bulletize each and every list differently. Putting this in an
easy to reach and always on panel is like saying "hey, why don't you
just change the bullets of this list to stars and the one of the next
ones to blinking skulls?".

I understand that point but the solution is not to forbid this docking behavior but to make it hard to dock by default.

The moment you have to repeat this same operation many times the key
binding is cumbersome: compare pressing "Alt P left-arrow" with a
single click.

You mean "compare keeping your hands on the keyboard with reaching
for the mouse"?

Don't get me wrong, I am a keyboard guy but when my hand is already on the mouse yes.

I agree that this Alt-P left binding is awkward, but I have ideas on
this particular point (see separate thread somewhere).

The advantage of the dialog as opposed to the toolbar is that you
can have more information there, like the depth number.

This is shown by red lines on screen already.

This was just an example.

This is just an example. In general, I see DockWidget as much more
poweful than toolbars. Except for math symbols or tables, I don't
use the toolbars personally.

"Personally" is the operative word. For some thoughts on why using
personal use of belief as a design guideline, read:
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2006/04/05/568947.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2006/04/07/570798.aspx

We'll wait for other's input but I would advocate to revert the dock
part personally.
Noted but you didn't answer my question about what would make it feel
like a well behaved dialog if undocked?

- have a title bar like a dialog, not this tiny excuse for a handle

?? You have it already.

- not be of the height of the LyX window for a reason nobody can guess

This is fixable.

- have an aspect ratio that minimizes mouse movement; there has to be
  a reason why all dialogs are not a long vertical strip of controls...

This is fixable.

- of course, not have to undock it everytime (but I know this is
  fixable)

Yes, this is fixable.

And probably other things I forget.

All in all, I think designing the UI with full-screen as first goal is
an error. And designing as panels things like paragraph settings is an
error too. Panels are much more effective (in my view) when they are
carefully chosen.

Yep, your "personal" view ;-)

Abdel.