Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
I will forbid the docking in the future. Is that a compromise?
It depends what you mean by forbid. I think docking has its uses.
And, after reading through most of this thread: If making things dockABLE is possible without too much other chaos, then I don't myself see why it shouldn't be done. For some people, especially people on smaller screens, or people who (like my wife) like to work maximized, it will be very, very useful. The main issue, I'd guess, is that the geometry of a free-floating dialog tends to be wider rather than tall, whereas a docked window has to fit somehow into the overall window scheme, and these tend to be either tall rather than wide, or really really wide. But there must be ways to deal with this---if only a routine called fixGeometryForDocking() that would kill the existing layout (usually a grid) and redo things. You could even do the layout you wanted in Designer and then copy the needed code from the generated header. Or you could have two dialog designs and use one or the other depending upon the docking status. Both of these generate a little more maintenance, but not hugely more.

Richard

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto