Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
Helge Hafting wrote:

Arrange one paragraph with 25 lines.
Type a string og W's in the next paragraph. The W's comes out with
great speed until this second paragraph needs to linewrap. The wrap
takes a "long" time, and then things continue at great speed. The linewrap
is noticeable, and lyx -dbg prints this at that point:

I know that but this behaves the same as in 1.4 and 1.5: When a paragraph dimension is changed we update the full screen. Are you sure that 1.6 is slower in that respect?

The current and the previous paragraph is 27 lines, and here we see
27 {10}'s, and they appear twice too.
The fact that 27 lines appears does not necessarily mean that they are drawn on screen. Actually only those line that are within the work area are drawn but I am going to check that this is really the case.

Yep, I verified that and I've added an additional field to indicate the drawing status '-dbg painting'. {xyz} now means:
x: 1 if the row painting is really done, 0 if the painter has been
   disabled (so called 'null-painter') because the row is off-screen.
y: 1 if a full redraw has been asked.
z: 1 if the row has really changed.

You will notice that sometimes y == 1 (full redraw) and z == 0 (the row has not changed), this means that we could avoid this row painting. This is kind of optimization that will be possible in the future but we are still not fully ready for that.

By the way, {xyz} is for the main text and [xyz] is for within inset texts.

Abdel.