Paul A. Rubin ha scritto:
Short of a context-sensitive menu entry that tells you what specific optional arguments are available for the current environment, I'm not sure there's a better way to guide that naive user.
Ok, "optional argument" seems too LaTeX-concept, in that the user would be supposed to know what is an argument, and what I'm giving that argument to. On the other hand, "short title" seems ok for titles in the toc, and might also be appropriate for theorems, once you realize that the word "title" does not necessarily refer to section titles.

First, a further proposal: *alternate title*, infact, for theorems, it is probably a longer
title, not a shorter one :-).

Now the question is: what use do other environments do of this optional argument ?
Is that always an alternate text to be used when producing dvi/ps/pdf ?
If it is not, then a context-sensitive menu would be a great thing, with a text that appears differently depending on what is written on the layout file as the name of that option. Anyway, it's a matter of introducing context-sensitive menus in LyX, what
is currently completely missing and would instead greatly improve usability.
... I'm having a suspect ... are most of the LyX main developers Mac users ?!? :-)

That said, I'd like to highlight that I can't see a utility for the user having the flexibility to place the optional argument (inset) wherever he/she wants, in the text, or in having the ability to cut and paste the entire inset (the containted
text would be useful, but I was wondering about the meaning of copying an
optional arg). I checked you cannot insert it twice in the same paragraph, but,
for example, you *can* insert one inset for each paragraph, within the same
multi-paragraph layout. A quick look at the source through "View Source" shows that the second inset seems to be ignored. Ok, guess this may be seen as a bug.

Probably, as a user, I run the risk to "loose" the optional arg, or, if I didn't write the section in the first place, then I would have to search for it in the text. On the
other hand, I would be glad to find such an optional argument in something
like a "paragraph settings" or "layout settings" dialog. Such dialog could be popped up, for example, with a right-click, respecting the current LyX convention
(cfr. tables).

Last, consider to never change something that (basically) works :-)

   T.