On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 01:09:01PM +0200, Martin Vermeer wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:33:23 +0100
> Abdelrazak Younes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
> > Still, I maintain that detecting the text direction automatically based
> > on the Unicode code point would simplify things.
>
> Yes, why not actually.

I don't think this is a good idea. When you set a RTL language, LyX
knows that you are going to write from right to left. When you enter
a character belonging to a RTL language, how are you going to guess
that the user wants to write from right to left or simply enter a
sequence of characters (for whatever reason)? On the other hand you
can't switch direction in the output as that would be very confusing.
I don't think that LyX should try to be too clever, as that often
results into doing stupid things.

--
Enrico