I have been advised that the X11 DISPLAY environment variable should not be declared when using the version of X11 included with MacOSX 10.5 Leopard as it is automatically declared by X11. I received this advice in trying to find out why xterm which is invoked by X11.app and all of my X11 applications, strangely with the exception of LyX, do not work.
xterm complains that it can't open the display.

So far, the main advice that I am getting is that I should make sure (which I have) that none of my environment initialization files are setting the DISPLAY variable.

I am wondering:
1. Lyx specific - If the export DISPLAY=:0.0 instructions should be deleted from the lyxrc,dist files should be deleted? 2. Help -If anyone can shed some light as to why, if LyX works with X11, why my other X11 applications don't.

Regards
Roger