Am Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2008 11:11:06 schrieb Uwe Stöhr:
>  > I want to suggest a (minor) improvement about entering text in formulas:
>  >
>  > Hitting C-m in math-mode readily inserts an \mbox{}, such that the text
>  > inside is set in an upright font - VERY USEFUL!
>  >
>  > I suggest however to use \text{} from amsmath instead.

+1
(I recently replaced \mbox with \text everywhere in my thesis.)

> I proposed the same recently:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg133423.html
>
> That it was not implemented has a technical reason:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg133439.html
>
> I'm too limited in C++ to check if the user has set in LyX to use AMS or
> not. When you know a bit C++ you could try to provide a patch starting with
> mine here:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg133424.html

I wonder if this would be the right thing to do.  Somehow, I think \text
should be the default, but AMS is only the default if AMS stuff is used
(the "automatic" \usepackage is default).

Maybe the right thing to do would be to *always* use \text, therefore include
the AMS package if the setting is "auto" and \text has been used, and add
a "if not defined, let \text be \mbox" command to the preamble if the AMS
setting is set to "no"?

--
Ciao, /  /
     /--/