On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Juergen Vigna wrote:

>    I know that working on this stuff is much more interesting then working
>    on some dialogs. BTW.: you should find a clean way for makeing complex
>    dialogs as you probably use some dialog-builder. Have a look at the work
>    we did in the KDE and XFORMS branch. While in the XFORMS branch we use
>    fdesign and then sed to make the necessary changes to the exported files
>    so that they can be used asis without the need of manual work. In KDE
>    (as I did that branch initially I decided that the KDevelop is a really
>     nice tool to do this stuff I have used that) the files are already
>    exported in nice C++ so that the modifications we do in the XFORMS branch
>    are not necessary, but we can directly used the exported files).

There is the glade tool for GTK+/Gnome, it can produce a .glade XML file
and source code for C/C++ and some more (Perl and such). I use it in a
python program I work on and it's really great but then I simply use
libglade that loads the .glade file in runtime to build the dialogs.

It should be considered if we want the source generated of the dialogs or
the XML file to be loaded in runtime, the good thing about the XML file is
that the (knowledgeable) user can play with it and customize the whole
dialog to his liking (well at least in the sense of reorganizing it), the
bad thing is the housekeeping that will make something else besides the
executable a requirement to run the Gnome frontend.

> 3. For us developers:
>
>    We should move to make LyXView GUII so that toolbars, menu's and stuff
>    like that can be integrated by other frontends. But we already know this,
>    just a reminder to go for it ;)

I believe I sort of implied that in the latest thread, besides the dialog
nothing is GUII, someone needs to put up a design and framework to make
all of LyX GUII so we will really be independent. (Not me, I'm up to my
ears with InsetGraphics :-)

--
  Baruch Even

http://techst02.technion.ac.il/~sbaruch/   (My Site)
http://rpghost.com/jindor/                 (My brothers AD&D site)

" Learn to laugh ... it's the path to true love! "
   - The Angel in the movie Michael