I have just installed Lyx1.6.0svn
This has a view menu with numerous items, including DVI and Postscript.
I have NOT run Reconfigure on this.

The DVI and Postscript items both work.
DVI invokes TeXShop and Postscript invokes Apple Preview.

Regards
Roger

On 13/03/2008, at 11:14 PM, Roger Mc Murtrie wrote:

Mac Intel
OSX 10.5.2 Leopard

I am no longer able to use the DVI Viewer.
It and other items recently disappeared from my View menu.
The problem first appeared with LyX1.5.5svn.
I have just downloaded LyX-1.5.4-Mac-Universal.dmg and installed it.

One associated problem with both versions is that some Preferences- >File format settings are deleted by Reconfigure, so maybe something is missing. If so, I can't discover what it is. In particular, the Document format and Vector graphics format boxes become unchecked by Reconfigure. When I select these boxes, DVI reappears in the View menu (which makes sense). However, when I select the DVI View menu item (which used to work), I get the following error notification:

File does not exist
/tmp/lyx_tmpdir6064y7RjeL/lyx_tmpbuf0/My__postulates_.dvi

Exiting the restarting Lyx does not solve this problem.

The DVI File format settings are:
Format: dvi           GUI name: DVI
Shortcut: D           Extension: dvi
Viewer: open       Editor:

This problem has arisen in an attempt to use psfrag which I have successfully achieved for View->PDF (ps to pdf) with LyX1.5.5svn on a Linux system. In fact, I did have psfrag working OK with View->DVI on this Mac system, but not for PDF.

Assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Roger Mc Murtrie