> Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and made some content changes to the
> front page and to the "Download Links" page. I am attaching the patch to
> this email. This is my first time using SVN or doing anything of this
> nature, so please let me know if I did it wrong.

some comments:

1. small patches like this send in plain, not compressed, so others can
   easily read your work and add their comments for next iteration ;)

2. the resulting html code is horrible to read (i mean _code_ readability).
   please compare the previous format and the changes you introduced.
   try to adhere to indentation rules etc. so its easy to parse html
   just by your eyes.

3. from the quick links you introduced it seems we have no linux port.

4. you wiped out the keyword WYSIWYM, emphasize around "structured" is gone.
   these are the key properties of lyx and shouldn't be abandoned.

besides your changes there is still some leftover from past - there has been
complaint wrt the readability of text and the patch which should improve it.
but the lack of any comments from others prevented me from commiting it.
i use this occassion to ask again what other thinks about such kind of
background changes in our web, snpshaot see here:
http://195.113.31.123/~sanda/junk/lyx/www2/

> i remeber some recent python things (can give you pointers if you are
> > interested)
> > - request of csv2lyx: table import (now in perl and buggy)
> > - conversion of lfun doxy docs to lyx (now in bash)
> >
> Those sound interesting, Pavel. How can I get started with learning the
> internals of LyX so that I can do these tasks? For example, I am unfamiliar
> with the LyX markup language, as well as the overall architecture of the LyX
> program (e.g. where csv2lyx would be called from, etc.)

you won't find documentation for this, you simply have to play with it, thats
how
you learn. if something make trouble then read the source code, if that still
does not
work you ask on list.

> Also, if there are
> any other good beginner tasks for someone new to LyX (preferably in Python),
> please point me to them! :)

yes one other thing came to my mind - there are problems wrt conversion of old
configuration files to newer one and there was suggestion of writing preferences
convertor.

as far as pointers:
csv2lyx:
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg136791.html

lfuns & doxy:
http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/LyxFunctions
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg133161.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg135048.html

preferences:
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg134184.html

> By the way, are patches usually submitted over the mailing list, or is there
> some other way of submitting them?

mailing list is the best, you get review easily.

pavel