On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Garst R. Reese wrote:

> Dekel Tsur wrote:

> > > I'll check it out too, however I was told to avoid adding dependencies, so
> > > I'll have to support ghostscript as a transformer and libxpm as a loader
> > > to make sure that everything will continue to work, even though I think it
> > > will still require an added dependency on ImageMagick or something else to
> > > transfer between png and xpm.
> >
> > Imagemagick also support transformation (e.g. convert -rotate 30),
> > and it can convert from eps to any format (using gs).
> > It also include a shared library (libmagick).
> > I'm not sure how useful it is for your purposes, but I'll leave it to you to
> > do the research :)
> >
> > PS: I still think that you should try making the image viewing be done
> > without creating temporary XPM (or other) files (after the image is converted
> > to a format readable by (pdf)latex, i.e. eps/pdf/png/jpeg).
>
> It might be useful to poll the dev and user lists to determine what they
> already have installed. Other things else I have require Imagemagick,
> imlib,libpng, and libart, so it is hard to imagine that anything that
> lyx wants is going to be a problem. The gnome stuff is so incredibly
> heavy that I think worrrying about this issue is futile. Especially
> after teTeX and ghostscript.
> Garst

I don't think that this things will be a problem to add, but if I can
avoid ADDING DEPENDENCIES I'd rather do that. Thus I'll support initially
the ghostscript method, hopefully without the need for ImageMagic. And
then I can add additional methods that will complement and improve on the
basic, this way I'll be assured that former users can continue to use LyX
without new installations, and that everyone will be able to benefit from
the additional features if the only install (or already have) some
additional dependencies.

--
  Baruch Even

http://techst02.technion.ac.il/~sbaruch/   (My Site)
http://rpghost.com/jindor/                 (My brothers AD&D site)

" Learn to laugh ... it's the path to true love! "
   - The Angel in the movie Michael