Andre Poenitz wrote:
And right now I start to get the impression that we a close to one of
our good old attempts to abstract where abstraction isn't called for.

To play the devil's advocate: What would be wrong with
   virtual string InsetCommand::parametersToString() const;

and

   virtual void InsetCommand::parametersFromString(string const &);

with suitable implementations in all derived classes? Common code
could be put as helper method into InsetCommand.

Maybe I'd be even worth to generalize those at Inset level (using docstring):

virtual docstring Inset::toString() const;
virtual void Inset::toString(docstring const &);

What exactly is InsetCommandParameter used for?

Inset construction from a string?
-> We can construct an 'empty' isnet and call parametersFromString() on it.

Storing temporary copies in the dialogs?
-> Store a stringified version there. We convert it to a string anyway
when dispatching.

No matter what he says I wonder whether the dispute is on the right
level. I question I see is whether InsetCommandParams is the right thing
to use (a) in this case, and (b) in general.

Note that it original structure was just a convenient way to pass two or
three data items typically associated with a simple LaTeX commands
around. Nowadays it looks like a ton of bureaucracy sparking three-week
discussions...

Andre' seems to have a point here... Long discussions often means that some designs needs to be changed :-)

Abdel.