On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 08:21:15AM -0400, Bennett Helm wrote:

> Thanks, Enrico; that's helping, but I now have problems linking.

You need other options on the command line. Try locating in
/Users/bennett/lyx/qt-4.4-install/lib a file named QtCore.prl or
QtCore.pc. If you find QtCore.prl, look at the line
QMAKE_PRL_LIBS = ...
and append the ... options to your command.
Otherwise, if you find QtCore.pc, look at the line
Libs: ...
and again append those ... options.
If everything fails, use the same switches that are used for linking
the lyx executable. However, I think that you must have at least
the QtCore.prl file.

--
Enrico