Andre Poenitz schrieb:

I fixed part of that by putting $..$ around the formulat that triggered
the 'unusual contents found' message.

Thanks for doing this. I was searching for the reason of unusual contents found several times without success. I wrote this part of the manual with LyX 1.3.x, so it seems that there was a bug and newer LyX versions didn't correct that. But anyway, when I now create the same formula I get the correct result.
I applied the fix also to the other math manuals.

I thought I mentioned 'finger painting' in that context.

So your aim was to get rid of the \raiseboxes. I also looked for another solution without success. I also asked this on comp.text.tex and nobody had a better idea. But as the math manual is already written, there is no need to define a new command and replace \raisebox with this one, or have I misunderstood you?

regards Uwe