On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Matthieu Amiguet wrote:

> The day before yesterday, I complained about lyx not working any more
> after installing XFree 4.0. Today, I noticed that this is my fault,
> because I didn't install the fonts properly. I'm sorry about this, and I
> hope you did not spend too much time on trying to make out what
> happened.
> Anyway, I think it would be better if, when the required fonts aren't
> there, lyx complained nicely instead of the quite unclear error message
> I got!

I'm guessing but I think the problem actually triggered a segfault from
xforms.  XForms would be trying to display an error message.  You didn't
see this error message so I suspect, since you are using linux, that you
probably have the wrong version of xforms for your C library.  Try to find
bxforms-0.88-glibc2.tar.gz or a 0.89 release with a similar name.  The
problem is that there are certain functions removed from glibc between
different revisions.  The xforms library you are using tries to access the
missing library functions and you get a segfault.

Try looking at www.xforms.org or .com I can't remember which for a
suitable library version (IIRC you are using a PPC otherwise I'd just say
go to ftp://ftp.sylvan.com/ and get an xforms rpm from there).

> Excuse me for the "false" bug,

It is a bug.  But it can be fixed.  Anything else that would cause xforms
to print a warning message will also trigger this bug -- like insufficient
colours for example.

> PS: I'm very sorry for the big attachment. I thought that every mail
> client is able to download the message whithout the attachment, so I
> sent it for people who might be interested. Obviously, this is not the
> case. I'll never do that again, and do as Allan said.
> The "problem" whith Linux becoming popular is that complete ignorants
> like me are arriving!

Hopefully,  with a few more additions to the documentation we won't get a
repeat from anyone else.  You effectively also filed a bug report against
missing info in INSTALL or BUGS.

Thanks,
Allan. (ARRae)