   >> > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008, rgheck wrote:

   >> > I'm primarily waiting for the LyX file format to migrate to XML.
   >>
   >> That would be really great.
   >>
   >> > As an aside, it is already possible to use an extension to the wiki
   >> > that takes wiki pages, convert them to XML, converts that into LaTeX
   >> > and finally runs LaTeX on the output to produce a PDF. It works pretty
   >> > well.
   >>
   >> Again, this solution already exists?

   > This solution exists. See here for instance
   >    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PublishPDF

I just had a look, but I don't understand. Could one write directly
latex code in that wiki? It seems not to be the case.
Or is this some wiki dialect with some embedded (crippled) version of
Latex?

Could you give me an example?

   > Note that this plugin has not been installed on the LyX wiki, although
   > it could of course. There are also other plugins, but this is the one
   > that generates the PDF via LaTeX.

Could you give me a link how this is supposed to work? And it really
would say support a decent part of latex, say amsmath?

   > Your idea of a _short_ article is very different from mine... :-)

:(

   >> > This is really what the a wiki page is. With pmwiki-mode for emacs
   >> > I've implemented this functionality (it's relatively easy
   >> > really[*]), and you can get a huge increase in efficiency.
   >>

   > I have no idea what mozex is... I took an old emacs mode and
   > converted/augmented it for use with our wiki engine on the LyX
   > wiki. This is what I used when originally creating the LyX wiki
   > content. Much later, after I'd stopped developing the mode, another
   > guy took over and added some cool stuff, but unfortunately he left it
   > in a partially broken stage as it's not possible to save pages
   > currently :-(

Just let me say wath mozex is. In all wiki (mediawiki etc), when you
edit a page an internal (crude) editor is opened, which when saving
warns you about possible conflict due to simultaneous editing. Now if
you want to use your favourite editor I know of two solutions.

    -  ee (which is a perl script). This will circumvent the internal
       editor and directly opens the editor of your choice: vi,
       emacs, lyx etc. The problem is it does not warn you about conflict.

    -  mozex: (http://mozex.mozdev.org). For firefox, seamonkey. This
       first openens the internal editor, but then when starting it it
       openes the editor of your choice. You edit you save and then
       again you save withing the internal editor. The advantage is
       that you are warned about conflicts.

Uwe