Angus> Yes. Could you explain what you mean by the second case,
Angus> Jean-Marc. I don't really see the difference between cases 1
Angus> and 3. Why not output to LaTeX always. It's only a note and
Angus> will not be present in the final printed output. Why not
Angus> collapse 1 and 3 to just one?

It is for part of a document that are either draft or secret and that
you do not want to send as latex/sgml. Another recent proposition was
to associate tags to those insets (clientA/clientB or
article/chapter_of_a_thesis) and be able to
generate a document according to a given tag (so you have several
versions of the same document).

Angus> On the otherhand, José's suggestion of a checkbox is a cool
Angus> one. Not that I've any idea of how to implement it!

In this case, the three versions could be merged into one.