Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> > OTOH the unicodesymbols file should not output anything else then a
> > proper representation of the given glyph. In the context of InsetInfo
> > this might be correct, but what if someone wants to use the symbols
> > themselves?
>
> We have no solution for using the symbols right now. It is a correct
> textual representation of the glyph like Juergen is a representation of
> Jürgen :)

I don't think so. We have set up this rule in unicodesymbols:

# Do only add commands that give correct output, no hacks that look "similar".
# Commands that modify other parts of the text should not be added either.

Outputting a description instead of the symbol clearly breaks this rule, it's
a translation, no representation (and of course also "Juergen" instead of
"Jürgen" would not be acceptable in this context).

IMHO we should rather introduce something like a
KeySequence::print(KeySequence::DocOutput)
that could replace any non-representable character by a description instead of
abusing the unicodesymbols file.

Jürgen