The languages:

spanish            spanish      "Spanish"               false  iso8859-15
spanish-mexico     spanish      "Spanish (Mexico)"      false  iso8859-15

differ only in the country code and the preamble additions:

es_ES    "\addto\shorthandsspanish{\spanishdeactivate{~<>}}"
es_MX    "\addto\extrasspanish{\renewcommand\shorthandsspanish{}}"

Where can I find out what the intended behaviour of these languages is
(regarding the ~ character)?

Mixing the spanish variants in one document is impossible, as both are
called "spanish".

Is there an intended difference? Do we need to keep it?

Why aren't the \deactivatetilden and \deactivatequoting commands
(provided by spanish.ldf) used?

My test revealed some strange behaviour if the document language is set
to Spanish (Mexico):

  Spanish (Mexiko): there isño space there isño space here.
  English: there is no space there is no space.
  Spanish (Mexiko): there is no space there is no space here.

I.e. the handling of ~ differs depending on whether there is another
language used in the document. The reason is that in this case,
continuing text in spanish-mexico is prepended with

  \selectlanguage{spanish}%

in the LaTeX source.

If the document language is Spanish, leading Spanish text has no active
tilde.

Günter