Hi,

I spent some time investigating the server, and here's an intermediate result. I'm keeping notes here
        http://wiki.lyx.org/Devel/TestServer

Generally I've noticed that sometimes even when interacting with the server via CLI, it sometimes seems slow to respond. So I created a simple script that executes a command while measuring the execution time. Initially I wanted to look at disk access, but then I went with something even more basic, e.g. the command

        sleep 1

This command ought to take 1 second to execute, and if it takes much longer than that something strange is happening, which could of course just be a very high load on the server. Or perhaps on the host of the VM.

So once I had the script that measured these times, I gave it a threshold time for which it'd count "overruns". Below is a table with results for measuring the execution time of
        sleep 0.1
with a threshold of 0.12 s, and doing this 10000 times. This test was repeated on four different "machines".

Test    Overrun Max     VM/HW   System
# [ms] 1 517 2600 VM LyX server (VM)
2       32      158     VM      VM on Christian's home server
3       24      145     HW      Christian's home server
4       2       174     HW      Christian's old Mini-ITX

Test 1 is on the LyX server, and there are many "overruns". Sometimes it takes one or even two seconds to execute 'sleep 0.1'. This is _much_ more compared to test 2-4, which was run on other hardware or virtual machines.

As for conclusions, I know think I have a test that gives a difference for the LyX server compared to other machines. I think the most telling sign is when a command such as 'sleep 0.1' takes over a second to execute, then something strange is going on with the server.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderström                           Mobile: +46-70 687 39 44