On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 09:58:27AM +0300, Andrew Zabolotny wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Oct 2000 17:46:13 +0200, Dekel Tsur wrote:
>
> >Actually we (I) plan to remove the encoding selection from the document
> >dialog. There will be only one available encoding: Unicode.
> Um... does TeX eat unicode files? I bet no. Or you are going to use \GlyphName
> for every letter? This would expand LaTeX files immensely... Especially for the
> "export to LaTeX" mode I would like to be able to get "normal" files, in the
> encoding of my choice. Maybe GNU's iconv tables could be used for that? I think
> me and many other users (at least that uses Cyrillic) will appreciate the
> ability to export to "native" LaTeX code.

I think that the Omega tex engine supports unicode file.
As for standard tex, the file generated by LyX will use 8bit encoding, but
it will be possible to change the encoding between paragraphs.

> The problem is, there aren't many Unicode fonts available. In fact, I know only
> of one (which comes with XFree 4.0). I don't believe this will change soon.
> Besides, there are lots of excellent PostScript and TrueType fonts already, will
> they work (are you going to use XFree4's ability to recode fonts on-the-fly into
> Unicode?)

There are many free unicode TTF fonts (although they do not include all glyphs)
See http://www.ccss.de/slovo/unifonts.htm
Support for unicode fonts exists in XFree 3.3.x

> P.S. I have a problem building latest LyX on a RH6.2 system: the libxforms
> library uses some "xstat" function that is not available in glibc: what can I
> do?

It is possible that the XForms library you have is compiled for glibc 2.0,
while your glibc is 2.1, so you will need to install the correct version of
XForms.

> P.P.S. Maybe there is some list on the internationalization of LyX where
> somebody would be interested in opinions of someone who uses Cyrillic natively?
> Too often packages are "internationalized" and then it turns that it is unusable
> for people that speaks one or other language. I would like to participate in
> this process :-)

Just send your complaints to [EMAIL PROTECTED]