> The switch is there. What I see is that with the patch LyX is going to
> look for two executables in the path: elyxer.py or elyxer:
> +    path, elyxer = checkProg('a LyX -> HTML converter',
['elyxer.py','elyxer'],
> and then it is going to execute a different elyxer.py from the scripts
> directory anyway, ignoring those in the path:
> +      rc_entry = [ r'\converter lyx      html       "python -tt
> $$s/scripts/elyxer.py --directory $$r $$i $$o"  ""' ])

This is not correct. The code looks for a file named elyxer.py. This can only be found when it is in a path known by LyX. That means that it has to be somewhere in LyX's subfolders. Other folders aren't possible since the installer can only detect paths given in the registry. So when eLyXer would be a standalone program it would have been written its installation path in the registry. The LyX installer could then check if eLyXer is installed and add its path to the known LyX paths. Therefore I was forced to use a certain location for the file and have chosen the directory where we store all other python scripts. So you can see eLyXer as a plugin and the scripts folder is LyX folder for plugins.

> This copy of elyxer.py in the scripts directory has to be distributed
> along with LyX, either standalone or in the installer.

This is intended. When elyxer.py is in the scripts folder, the user wants to use it as HTML converter, if not then tex4ht will be used.

> This is going to result in strange behavior for people who have
> already downloaded eLyXer from a different source (not many of them,
> granted).

I don't agree. Those few users can copy the elyxer.py file to the scripts folder and everything will work. Spending time for backward compatibility of a script that has not yet been released together with LyX is not worth the time in my opinion. Note the eLyXer don't work properly with LyX 1.6.4 because we fixed the image file and ext_copy.py issues afterwards. Forcing the users to copy a single file shouldn't be a too hard task.

> The recommended way of running eLyXer is as a module; I sent a patch
> to the list that tried to first detect the module and then the
> executable.

This requires a full Python installation. A full LyX installation already needs about 500 MB on your harddisk and has a download size of about 120MB. To save further 50 MB on the harddisk and 30 MB download size, my (and also Joost's installer) bundle a stripped down version of Python. This version includes all necessary files to run our python scripts and works well with elyxer.py. Being forced to install Python completely is no option just for one script with a filesize of only a few kB.

>  - install eLyXer in the path,

What do you mean with "path"?

Finally. as I often stated: eLyXer can only work together with LyX and I will therefore never understand what it cannot just be another python script in our SVN. When it would be in our SVN, everybody could fix bugs in the file in case you are not available. It would be part of every new LyX release and users can report bugs with this script to our bugtracker.

regards Uwe