>> Note that the addition of mhchem was adding a new feature not a bug
>> fix. I use \ce and mhchem successfully also with LyX 1.6.3.
>
> http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/6047

This bug was a regression to LyX 1.5.x because of the new \ensuremath handling. The bug reporter said that it worked with LyX 1.5.6.

The new feature is that we write
   \usepackage{mhchem}
to the preamble as soon as the user uses the command \ce in a formula. So in LyX 1.6.3 yiou have to add this preamble line manually to the preamble line when you open LyX files from 1.6.4 that use \ce.

It is now as it is, but we should handle mhchem at least the same way as we handle esint and amsmath: The user can turn them explicitly off in the document settings under math. Do you agree?

regards Uwe