On Jan 22, 2010, at 11:43 AM, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:

> Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
>>> Do you have any suggestions on what these greek fonts might be and why it
>>> only happens with times roman, and not with any of the other font
>>> choices like palatino, etc.?
>>
>> Try if installing the cbgreek package or a similar Greek fonts package
>> with  the MikTeX manager helps.
>
> BTW, I don't know in what context you use the mu glyph, but be aware that
> there are two different mu characters. The technical unit (LaTeX \textmu,
> unicode: MICRO SIGN) is to be found in Latin1-Supplement, the Greek letter
> (LaTeX \textgreek{m}, unicode: GREEK SMALL LETTER MU) in the Greek section.
>
> Only the latter requires Greek fonts. Unless you do not really write Greek,
> though, you should use the former glyph.

I was aware of the \textmu, but never knew where it lived.  I have been cutting
and pasting it from other documents.  Thanks for pointing that out.

The problem is mainly one of dealing with merely human co-workers.  I am
gingerly trying to move them away from their trusted (but fairly useless) MS
word.  The business of a document not compiling due to something they "legally"
discover in their software menus (like the perfectly reasonable choice of
Insert > Special Characters > Symbols > Greek when in need for a greek
character) makes them apprehensive about using LyX.

Rather than telling them that things won't work in some cases, on some
computers, or that "a bunch of extra stuff must be instlaled" to make LyX work,
I changed our documents over to Palatino for the time being, until my style
police finds out, or until I figure out why we are having this problem in the
first place.

I'll report anything useful I find out about this matter, even if we may be the
only ones who ever see it.

Thanks.

Maarten.

> Jürgen