Again, maybe I'm too late, but:
Is a switch to XML is really a good idea?

The XML hype is over, we don't use Java, LyX
doesn't run on a Application-Server, and we
live now in a App/web-app world where Json
is more common than XML.

And living in the Latex world this means we should
not use XML but the equivalent for Json in Tex:

Lua. http://www.lua.org/

In future there is a Latex with an embedded script
language

http://www.luatex.org/

which we could use NOW for our needs.

We could use Lua internally in LyX as scripting languange
(footprint: 100kB) and as file format similar to JSON:

In a LyX document are function calls which are
are bound to C++ functions. Loading a document is simply
done by setting up the binding and to execute the script.
Similar to SAX with XML, but much more readable and
faster (for x86 there is a Just-In-Time compiler).

Sure, we could export to some XML format, but we should not
make XML the first-level LyX file format.

Peter

HTML book:
http://www.lua.org/pil/