On 2010-02-04, Pavel Sanda wrote:

Thanks a lot Pavel,

  vc-command DR $$p "my-editor $$i"

(with - instead of _ in the command name) works like a charm.
This solves a long-standing issue for me.

Binding this with the Tools>Settings>Keybindings dialogue failed, however:
after saving, the command is truncated to

  vc-command DR $$p

Looking in the generated user.bind file, I found that the whole command
is put into quotes. Trying again with escaped quotes:

  vc-command DR $$p \"my-editor $$i\"

solved this issue. (Should the keydindings dialogue insert the quotes
automatically?)

I bound the function to F4.  Is there a preferred/usual keybinding for
"external edit" in CUA-aware applications?

Günter