"R. Lahaye" wrote:

> "Garst R. Reese" wrote:
> > I would say there should be a way of using sub-superscripts without
> > going to math,
>
> Maybe I'm missing something here, but how can you use a
> sub-superscript without math? As far as I know one can only
> have the sub/super-scr. inside the math environment.
Let me count the ways. From the Chicago Manual of Style
Superscripts
        in classical citations (indicates edition after the title).
        in musical terms
        for diacritical marks
        + the usual math and chemical notation where we are OK
subscripts
        in musical terms
I don't think we have to do anything different, just language that more
than one discipline understands, and someplace other than the math
panel. Non mathematicians are not going to even think of going to the
math panel.

> > but they should also be on the math panel as Index and
> > Exponent. The problem is that non math users may not have a clue as to
> > what an Index and Exponent mean.
>
> Would only providing the math-panel do, with an additional
> sub/superscript somewhere in the menu?
No.
Garst