Warning: this email isn't about LyX!

When I try to install relocatable RPMs not as root, I get:

    failed to open /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm: Permission denied

Which makes sense because:

    fermi2:~/src>ls -l /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm
    -rw-r--r--  1 root  root 10780872 Nov 16 12:50 /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

Is it impossible to install things not as root? I guess I can install it in
my home directory as root. Will that do weird things to the database?

Anyway, I can't imagine it would be impossible to install as non-root. What
if you want to download a game RPM and install it in your home directory on
a university or other machine where you don't have root access?

-Amir