Dear Developers,

I've been following the debate regarding development models with some interest.
It sounds as though some people are ready to move to git now. While I'm not
thrilled about that (I don't care for git very much), I think it makes a lot of
good sense. A move to a distributed model of development would definitely
facilitate the development of complex features. For that reason, I'm willing to
try and figure out git again, or at least bzr-git so that I can continue with
my tinkering patch submission.  I assume that the workflow for patches would
stay the same?

With all that said, I did have a question regarding our existing
infrastructure. Whatever model we end up settling on, would it be possible to
mirror the git master branch to SVN? (Basically the same thing we do for the
git users, except in reverse.)

As soon as I have time, my first project is to set up testing branches on
Launchpad for trunk, 2.0, and the 1.6 series. This is so that we can
automatically generate nightly builds for Ubuntu users. When everything is
working, the whole system will be automated via launchpad recipes.

These branches are linked to the existing SVN infrastructure, though. Jumping
the hoops to link to a new git infrastructure would be a pretty major
undertaking. Continuing to pull from the existing SVN, though, if it were
mirrored to git-master, would be pretty trivial.

Would it be difficult to mirror development from git?

Cheers,

Rob