If you didn't apply that internationalisation patch that I sent you, then
this may well be the same problem.

Could you set LANG=C in a terminal and then run lyx from there.

I've just successfully run pdflatex on the UserGuide (well actually I got
some errors but that's another story). Running "top" in another window
should show you that lots of fonts are being generated ("mf" is running) and
"pdftex" runs in bwteen times too.

Angus