On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 12:38 AM, Andre Poenitz <
andre.poen...@mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 03:18:01PM -0700, Xu Wang wrote:
> > Hi, I would like to learn Qt. I learn much better from physical books
> than
> > online resources, although I've heard the Qt manual is very good.
> >
> > Does anyone have suggestions for me?
>
> Your question is a bit off-topic here. Try qt-inter...@qt.nokia.com
> or something similar.

I should have been more precise. I'm interested in learning qt4 for pretty
much the sole purpose of programming for LyX. As I do not know anything
about qt4, I do not know if there are different approaches to learning it,
one of which is more useful for LyX.

> Google's first hit for "qt books" is http://developer.qt.nokia.com/books
> which happens to be the "official" site. The first one (Blanchette/
> Summerfield) is a very good start.

Even though it's a few years old?

> > How much does Qt change from year to year? I am trying to figure out how
> new
> > the book that I look for should be.
>
> It should be Qt _4_. There's about one minor release per year, but
> currently Qt 5 is being discussed. This will still take a while though,
> and people try fairly hard to keep incompatibilities small, certainly
> less than the Qt 3 -> Qt 4 jump six years ago.
>
> > Is there any chance that LyX will stop using Qt in the recent future?
>
> Unlikely from my point of view, given that there are no serious
> alternatives for the kind of cross-platformness LyX exhibits.
>
> Andre'

Thank you for your response Andre',

Xu