Am 20.07.2011 12:08, schrieb Jean-Marc Lasgouttes:

This is funny when we see the code we had to add to adapt to miktex quirks
(like checking for
packages in configure.py just to let miktex install them).

(MiKTeX is just one of the various LaTeX distros but one of the most used one as it is more or less the standard on Windows.)

But installing a package is really easy with TeXLive thanks to its package manager and TeXLive is the reference distro of the LateX community and is available on all platforms and can even be used as Live distribution without installing it.

However, I try to keep the exotic package away from the UserGuide. But the EmbeddedObjecs manual that contains now the Initials documentation was from its beginning designed to explain more special features and therefore uses since ever some non-standard packages like e.g. arydshln and the like. The first note in the manual lists the packages.

For the UserGuide I added a section about special lists features that requires enumitem. This package might not be standard but is in my opinion in the same level as e.g. wrapfig that is already required since a long time. The advantage is that we for the first time can show the users solutions for problems that appear very frequently on the users list. In my experience the question how to resume a list is one of most often asked questions in the list.
While I'm at it, many thanks Günter for the enumitem module!

We are leaning to having lyx work well
only when connected to internet just because miktex forces us to do it, and
this is a terrible user
interface IMO.

There is still the possibility to install/use TeXLive with all packages on CTAN. Then no Internet connection is necessary, except for the first time where you download TeXLive. But also with MiKTeX you only need Internet access when installing LyX. Then you already have all packages installed that are supported by LyX and its modules and can work offline for the future. But this is the same as for many other programs. Take for example MSVC or Adobe Reader. For these you also need Internet connection to install the programs. But in general on all platforms you always have to have at least once Internet connection. Also for LyX on Linux and Mac you need an Internet connection to download LyX or install its package.

So the statement "lyx work well only when connected to internet" is not correct. If this would be correct then you are right that this is not acceptable.

regards Uwe