Il 19/09/2011 08:47, Guenter Milde ha scritto:
On 2011-09-19, Vincent van Ravesteijn wrote:
You should not let the development LyX interfere with your system-wide LyX.
For me, the following works:

     ./configure --with-version-suffix=-svn --enable-build-type=release

The "--with-version-suffix" option tells LyX to use a different name for the
executables as well as the config directories.

Sure, this is the right cure for developers and for my specific problem.

The rationale behind my message was simply that I'm shocked by the fact that we have a program that at a certain point refuses to start or load a document voluntarily, leaving the user with the only option to ask for help to others (us). Actually, the specific configuration line, or document line/paragraph, that is causing the trouble might be simply skipped with a WARNING to the user, and the program would self-fix the situation (with the user awareness that he/she should cross-check whether anything got lost). Actually, having some kind of (fault-)tolerance like this would also help in cases of corrupted files due to a number of reasons (one of them that comes to my mind might also be conflicts while having .lyx files on a shared SVN repo).

For example, popping up a dialog with something like:
"WARNING: LyX detected a more recent file-format than the one that it is able to handle. You can try to keep loading the document at YOUR OWN RISK, with possible data losses, inconsistencies and corruption of the file (or crash of the program). If you want to be on a safe side, then choose CANCEL. If you really know what you're doing and decide to proceed, at least be sure to save the file with a different name on the filesystem."

Letting the user choose between "Keep Going" and "CANCEL" ?

or, if we parse something bad inside the document (despite the correct document format):

"WARNING: LyX detected an inconsistent contents of this document file. You can try to keep loading the document ...."

.. and a similar question for the non-understandable configuration file

Just take this as a desirable "feature" (or bloat :-) ) request.

Bye,

    T.