Il 28/09/2011 16:36, Rudi Gaelzer ha scritto:

I don't know if this has already been reported. I made a quick scan through both the user and devel lists and couldn't find anything related.

While editing a text riddled with mathematical formulae, I had to use advanced search several times to locate some mathematical expressions. Suddenly, my system started to crawl. The reason was that lyx was using almost all available memory.

Hi Rudi, thanks for your report. I'll urgently look into possible memory leaks due to this feature. In the mean time, any step-by-step reproducible receipt leading to a show-up of the problem would be greatly appreciated.

My fedora 15 desktop has 4GB RAM + 6GB swap. When I start lyx (version 2.0.1 fc15, fully updated), it uses about 1,5% of available memory. After performing the first advanced search, the memory used jumped to 5%. The memory usage just accrued for subsequent search operations, and all of a sudden lyx was using about 75% of all memory and all other applications started to get swapped. It seems like the search engine is not refreshing the results or intermediate data from previous searches, but simply keeps piling them up.

Has anyone detected anything similar?

actually not, I normally use 4GB of RAM, but while developing I normally have very short sessions then I close the program. Recently, I wrote a paper and I used quite a lot Advanced Search and Replace (for reworking the math notation), with all-day long sessions, without noticing anything (but before exhausting the 4 GB it may take a while -- also, normally I work on short documents with let's say ten matches during a search -- didn't try replacing hundreds of times in a big document yet).

Can you just tell me what were the specific options used during your searches ? For example, default options, or, were you changing the "ignore format" option or others ? were you searching with regexps ? etc...

Thanks,

    T.